Print E-mail

Toledo Polish Churches > Polish National Catholic Church

 

The Polish National Catholic Church was founded in Scranton, Pa., in 1897 by Rev. Francis Hodur to serve Polish immigrants in America. There were at least three previous PNCC churches in the Toledo area, although all closed decades ago: Our Lady of Częstochowa Parish on Nebraska Avenue; St. Joseph Parish in Rossford, and Nativity Parish in Toledo.

 

Father Valentine Cichy immigrated to the U.S. in 1904, and from 1906 until 1913 was pastor at St. Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Parish in Rossford, Ohio, on the south side of the Maumee River. In 1914, Rev. Cichy organized Our Lady of Czestochowa Polish National Catholic Church on Nebraska Avenue in Kuhschwanz. This building later became Nativity Church. Lay delegates from this parish were Adam Surdel and Jan Cytlach. The first pastor of Our Lady of Częstochowa PNCC was Reverend John Urbanski.

 

There was a Polish National Catholic Church Cemetery, location unknown at this time. People were buried in this cemetery from at least 1915 to 1917. In April 1925, eleven people were exhumed and re-buried in Forest Cemetery. The TPGS library has detailed records of these burials, from Forest records.